The Concrete Roundabout (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons.
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:29 pm 

Growler wrote:
MaxTheDon wrote:
Also parked in Ikea, have done for the last 4 years and never had a problem

Got a ticket in IKEA a few weeks ago. I should know better I install APR cameras.

You must have, inadvertently, entered via an Asda entrance as IKEA doesn't have any cameras?

Edit to add that Asda will give you a ticket if you trip their cameras and then exit via IKEA too as it would be perceived that you were in their car park over the allowed two hour limit, regardless!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:09 pm 

have you noticed though that asda is now a 3 hour limit for parking, also if they gave you a ticket for sunday then appeal it as you would not have been denying asda of any money as it would have been closed by the time the limit ended

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:34 pm 

Asda signs say 3 hours max in easy reading letters and then in small letters it says 2 hours on match day!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:27 am 

moneysavingsexpert.com have a good bit about getting anpr tickets on private land. one say's.......

Unless its issued by a council or the law its not a FINE its just a piece of paper which you can pay or ignore, its up to you. Ignoring DOES work, its just that not enough people realise it. they seem frightening but have no basis in law.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:54 am 

If the ticket was issued by council....the best you can do is check the signage, basically you are 'guilty' so to speak but might have reasonable mitigating circumstances if the signage was poor or absent...however, this will probably only apply to a piece of public road. Land is always owned by someone, and I doubt any landowner needs to have a sign in order for parking to be prohibited. If it is council administered I doubt you have a leg to stand on.

"Shit in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:16 am 

I got one and paid it and just put it down to experience.
IMHO its not worth the aggravation of receiving more letters and the stress etc that brings.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:01 pm 

Given it is private land, the council bit wont apply. That applies to public roads (e.g. yellow lines) or council car parks.
I had a ticket from Asda a couple of years ago. I ignored it, and heard nothing more.
My wife wanted me to pay it (because it looked so 'official') but I resisted.

There have been further test cases since then, so I would check on Martin Lewis' site for the latest info.

One thing I tend to do when I use Asda's car park, is to go in and buy something, on the basis that it will blur the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:19 pm 

You know you parked in the wrong place. Take it on the chin.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:58 pm 

Corky wrote:
moneysavingsexpert.com have a good bit about getting anpr tickets on private land. one say's.......

Unless its issued by a council or the law its not a FINE its just a piece of paper which you can pay or ignore, its up to you. Ignoring DOES work, its just that not enough people realise it. they seem frightening but have no basis in law.

Ignoring hasn't been the best advice for a few years now. But you are correct it isn't a fine.

They do have a basis in law - search "Beavis parking case". But all tickets can be appealed successfully if defended properly. It is therefore really important not to ignore or just as bad doing an appeal without researching what to say first. As has been mentioned, MSE parking forum is your friend here - read the newbies thread.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:06 pm 

Radar wrote:
If the ticket was issued by council....the best you can do is check the signage, basically you are 'guilty' so to speak but might have reasonable mitigating circumstances if the signage was poor or absent...however, this will probably only apply to a piece of public road. Land is always owned by someone, and I doubt any landowner needs to have a sign in order for parking to be prohibited. If it is council administered I doubt you have a leg to stand on.

Radar is correct that council issued tickets you are basically guilty. This means that unless technically the council have issued it wrongly such as wrong date, wrong location, incorrect vehicle details etc you haven't got a leg to stand on. However, you can still "appeal" by throwing yourself at their mercy. You could say you missed the signs, not familiar with area, misread the signs, didn't think they applied where I parked etc .. You get the idea.