The Concrete Roundabout (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons.
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:39 pm 

APL PREDICTION LEAGUE & PREVIEWPETERBOROUGH UNITED
I THOUGHT I WOULD GET THIS ONE OUT EARLY TO GIVE SOME OF THOSE THAT TEND TO FORGET ABOUT MIDWEEK GAMES A CHANCE.
SO PLEASE REALISE THE STATS WILL NOT INCLUDE SATURDAY’S GAME.

The first of a trio this month of local derbies, grudge matches, call them what you will, but it’s an away trip to that dump of a ground London Road, where we had such fond memories from last season. I can still remember that collective gasp when Chuks hit that thunderbolt, which luckily, found the back of the net, I say luckily, because if it had evaded the clutches of the onion bag, somebody could possibly have been fatally injured behind the goal it was struck with such venom, I also recall even Posh fans applauding that goal, so I deduce from that, contrary to popular belief, there is human life in Peterborough after all.

If not prior, Chuks from that moment gained a place in every Don’s fans heart, it didn’t get the status of the “Heel of God “goal, but it will remain as one of the best goals scored by this club, and will be remembered long after me and you have shuffled off this mortal coil.

I do though feel this game will be more of a contest, the Posh have got off to a flying start, whereas our season is more of a rollercoaster ride, I grant you the drubbing we gave them came out of the blue last season, but neither team was anything to shout about back then, this season its entirely a different kettle of fish with massive personnel changes all round.

I must say, I always wonder when we get to games like this, are the players aware what it means to the fans, getting one over the local rivals and all that, well you would hope so wouldn’t you, I know dear departed Robbo did, I guess we will see in the pre-match presser RN gives, to see if he has grasped the situation.......cue Luke Ashmead with the question.

The one downer for me is it’s a midweek match, many will be fine, but I’m sure it will dent our away following to a degree, which I must say is pretty good at present, and long may it continue, but I’m sure we would get double the following for a Saturday game.

Ok let’s take a trot around the facts and figures for this game.

PETERBOROUGH LAST SEASON
The Posh finished one place above us last season in 11th with a record of PLAYED 46, WON 17, DRAWN 11, LOST 17, GF 62 & GA 62 with 62 points.

In the FA Cup, they lost 4-1 away to Chelsea in the 3rd Rd, in the EFL Cup they lost 3-1 at home in the 2nd Rd to Swansea, and in the EFL Trophy they never made it out of a group that contained us, in fact that was our only win, mainly I might add with our kids.

PETERBOROUGH – THE STORY SO FAR
A good start for the Posh with a current record of PLAYED 5 WON 4, DRAWN 1, LOST 0, GF 12, GA 4, POINTS 13 and at the time of writing are top of the league.

Peterborough v Bradford
Doncaster 0 Peterborough 0
Peterborough 2 Southampton (U21) 0 (EFL TROPHY)
Northampton 1 Peterborough 4
Peterborough 2 Rotherham 1
Bristol Rovers 1 Peterborough 4
Peterborough 1 Barnet 3 (EFL CUP)
Peterborough 2 Plymouth 1

THE MANAGER
Grant Samuel McCann born in Belfast aged 37.

He started his youth career as a midfielder at West Ham United in 1996 before making his full debut two years later playing just 4 games before going on a succession of loans to Livingston (4), Notts County (2), Cheltenham (38), then making a permanent move to Cheltenham (158).

Further spells were with Barnsley (41), Scunthorpe (102), Peterborough (128) and finally Linfield (5) in 2015.

His career stats amounted to 482 games played scoring 86 goals.

He also represented Northern Ireland at U21 level (11), and at senior level (40) scoring on 7 occasions.

He returned to Peterborough as a coach then caretaker manager for the last two games of the 2015/ 2016 season, and in May 2016 was awarded a four-year contract.

His managerial stats are pretty impressive but it’s still early days, his record stands at PLAYED 65, WON 28, DRAWN 11, LOST 23 with a 43.78% Win Ratio.

THE STADIUM
The 14,084 capacity London Road Stadium (Sat Nav PE2 8AL) and is some 55 miles from Stadium MK.

Although the new Moy's End stand is now open, the Club have decided to continue housing away fans in part of the Main Stand (towards the Moy's End) where just over 1,800 fans can be seated. The view from this stand is quite good, although the facilities inside (such as the refreshment area and toilets) are on the small side and are quite basic.

In the upper part of the stand the seating is wooden, and in an awful state, I also recall fans being asked not to hit the back of the stand because of asbestos on our last visit, giving an indication of the age of the stand.

Food available inside the ground includes the standard fayre of; Cheeseburgers (£3.60), Burgers (£3.50), Hot Dogs (£3.50), various pies including Chicken Balti, Steak and Cheese & Onion (£3.20), Pasties (£3.20) and Jumbo Sausage Rolls (£3.20).

Pubs are plentiful in the Peterborough area, most being away friendly, the Cherry Tree, The Palmerstone Arms, The Peacock, Charters which is a bar on a barge, The Brewery Tap & The Bumble Inn seem to be the most popular.

There is no parking available to visiting supporters at the ground but there is a council pay & display car park just off London Road (turn right at the traffic lights after crossing the bridge over the River Nene, from the city centre and it is immediately on the right), this costs £3 to park there for the day.

As mentioned above there is a fair-sized car park at the Cherry Tree pub on Oundle Road (A605).

Otherwise there is street parking to be found on side streets further up Oundle Road (going away from London Road). Please though check for any parking restriction signs on lamp posts, as the side streets nearest to the ground operate a resident only parking scheme.
Peterborough railway station is around a mile away from the ground.

Turn right out of station and follow the main road, passing an Asda store on your right, at the traffic lights, near to the Rivergate Shopping Centre, turn right. Go over the bridge and you can see the floodlights of London Road, over on your left. It takes about 20 minutes to walk from the station to the ground.

FORMER MANAGERS
Posh have had 54 managers since their formation in 1934, most notable amongst those are Barry Fry, Darren Ferguson, Gary Johnson, Mark Wright, John Still, Mark Lawrenson, Noel Cantwell.

MASCOT
Peter Burrow the Rabbit.

FORMER PLAYERS

Craig Mackail Smith, Aaron McLean, Ken Charlery, Eric Steele.

FAMOUS FANS
Iron Mike Tyson, Adrian Durham (Talk Sport Radio Host), general tosser and MK Dons hater.

Current Match Odds
Peterborough 4/5 (Coral) Draw 12/5 (BetFred) MK Dons 11/4 (Bet365)

POSH TOP SCORER
Top scorer for the Posh is currently Jack Marriot with 6 goals.

LAST TIME ROUND
Saturday 28th Jan 2017 – Peterborough 0 MK Dons 4
Team – Martin, Downing, Walsh, GB Williams, Baldock, Aneke, Barnes, Potter, Upson, Agard, Maynard.
Subs – Nicholls, Rasulo, Tilney, Powell, Bowditch, Brittain, Muirhead
Goals – Barnes 59’, Agard 71’, Aneke 74’ & 83’
Referee – John Busby (5 Yellows)
Attendance – 6,617 (685 Dons fans)

HEAD 2 HEAD - (League 1, unless stated)
2016/17 – Peterborough 0 MK Dons 4 – (Aneke 2, Agard, Barnes)
2016/17 - Peterborough 0 MK Dons 1 (Checkatrade Trophy) – (Agard)
2016/17 – MK Dons 0 Peterborough 2
2014/15 – MK Dons 3 Peterborough 0 – (Grigg, Reeves 2)
2014/15 - Peterborough 3 MK Dons 2 – (Alli, Powell)
2013/14 – MK Dons 0 Peterborough 2
2013/14 – Peterborough 2 MK Dons 1 – (McLeod)
2010/11 – Peterborough 2 MK Dons 0 (Play Offs)
2010/11 – MK Dons 3 Peterborough 2 (Play Offs) – (Powell, Baldock, Balanta)
2010/11 – MK Dons 1 Peterborough 0 – (MacKenzie)
2010/11 – Peterborough 2 MK Dons 1 – (Lewington)
2008/09 – Peterborough 0 MK Dons 0
2008/09 – MK Dons 1 Peterborough 2 – (Gerba)
2007/08 – MK Dons 1 Peterborough 1 (League 2) - (Wilbraham)
2007/08 – Peterborough 1 MK Dons 2 (League 2) – (Gallen, Andrews)
2007/08 – MK Dons 3 Peterborough 1 (Football League Trophy) – (Wright 2, Cameron)
2006/07 - Peterborough 4 MK Dons 0 (League 2)
2006/07 – MK Dons 0 Peterborough 2 (League 2)
2004/05 – Peterborough 0 MK Dons 3 – (Rizzo, McLeod 2)
2004/05 – MK Dons 0 Peterborough 2 (FA Cup)
2004/05 - MK Dons 1 Peterborough 1 – (Small)
2004/05 – Peterborough 0 MK Dons 3 (League Cup) – (McLeod, Smart, Kamara)

YOU’VE GOT NO HISTORY
Peterborough FC were formed 81 years ago, in 1934 and played in the old Midland League which they won 6 times.

They were elected into the Football League in 1960 replacing Gateshead United.

Following 4th Division success in 1960/61, the club then spent 7 seasons in Division 3 before being relegated in 1968 for financial irregularities, 6 years later they returned to the third tier.

Their highest ranked finish to a season was 10th in the Championship.

In 2002 Victoria Beckham filed a claim with the UK Patent Office over the clubs use of the nickname “Posh”. The former Spice Girl known as Posh Spice claimed the name had become synonymous with her on a worldwide basis, needless to say Peterborough won the case proving usage of the name Posh went back many years, long before she was born.

After winning the case PUFC seemed to go a little over the top when registering the club nickname with the IPO (Intellectual Property Office), instead of choosing one or two relevant business classes relevant to football they chose a staggering 28 classes which included, Hand Tools, cigarettes, Firearms, musical instruments, coat hangers, ashtrays, carpets, meat, fish, jam, mustard, bread, live animals, beer……..the list is endless containing hundreds of non-football related goods and services.

Since 2005 Posh have had 13 managers.

That’s if folks, you have 1 hour until kick off to make your prediction.

Good Luck

8-) WellDon

EXAMPLE
Peterborough 2 MK Dons 2
MKDFGS – Harry B

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:34 pm 

Pish 2-0 Dons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:39 pm 

Posh 0-1 Don's

FGS Sow

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:48 pm 

Who's Harry B?
Peterborough 2 MK Dons 2
Agard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:15 pm 

Peterborough 2 dons 0
No dfgs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:31 pm 

Oakeedokee wrote:
Who's Harry B?
Peterborough 2 MK Dons 2
Agard

Come on that's not difficult, just say it quickly.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:37 pm 

Oh I get it. Not some Beach Boys record then.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:50 pm 

1-3

FDGS segar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:55 pm 

Peterwho 1 -1 MK Dons

Mk fgs Upson

It's not a stadium, it's a shed

Don't interupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 pm 

3-1 Dons
Agard