The Concrete Roundabout (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons.
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:14 am 

APL PREDICTION LEAGUE & PREVIEWROCHDALE
Next up is Rochdale and a home fixture, so we will have to wait for the best fish & chips in the league for a while yet.

At this juncture of the season, I feel it appropriate to point out to some of my critics, yes there are a few, that I say it how I see it, based on many factors, I played at a reasonable level for many years, I’ve managed a few teams over the years, not at a reasonable level, but with some success, I was a ref for many years, commentated for hospital radio on a few occasions, and I’ve put in the hard miles watching the Dons.

Now while that doesn’t make me a leading authority on football, I feel I’ve got a pretty good grasp on the situation, I’m not as some people would have you believe, a doom and gloom merchant, I consider myself to be a realist, if I think we’ve played crap, I say it, if I think we are the best thing since sliced bread I say it. I cannot bury my head in the sand, and shrug my shoulders, and harp on about how Sheff Utd got off to a poor start and won the league in a canter, let’s be clear folks, we are not another team, so why should we start comparing ourselves to others.

I often marvel about people’s opinions on a match, and I do have my theory’s when we play at home that it may have something to do with where you sit at SMK, but equally you would have to say that theory goes out of the window on away days when we mainly all stand in the same area. I’ve often come away from a game thinking an individual has had a good or bad game, only to see alternative opinions from others.

Football like life is full of opinions that’s for sure, and I’m sure we all have our own levels of what we want out of it, and how much it affects our lives, and that to some degree might flavour our point of view, or taint our senses, mine is purely to report it how I see it, and keep the players, manager and the club honest.

I of course realise we are discussing individuals and they are in the spotlight, but that is the nature of the business, they all know that before they sign the dotted line, they take the acclaim willingly, they should equally be prepared to take it on the chin when things go wrong, as I’ve said before if you went to a restaurant and the food was terrible, would you complain, would you go back, or if on holiday and the room wasn’t cleaned or the bed broken, would you just suffer in silence, I think not, yet some feel the need to ridicule some of us that have cast doubts over the ability of the team.

Still enough of my waffle, I’m not even sure If I’ve explained myself fully, and it’s just a load of random thoughts, hopefully some will understand what I’m getting at, if you can’t please accept my apologies for wasting 5 minutes of your life, but I just want to clarify I’m a passionate fan of the Dons.

Right .... Rochdale, let’s have a wander around the Google and Wiki facts I’ve unearthed for our opponents.

ROCHDALE THE STORY SO FAR
The Dale are currently in 18th place in the table with a record of PLAYED 6, WON 1, DRAWN 3, LOST 3, GF 5 & GA 10, with 6 POINTS to their name.

Their playing record is as follows, with the most recent games shown last.

Portsmouth 2 Rochdale 0
Mansfield 0 Rochdale 1 (EFL CUP)
Rochdale 1 Scunthorpe 1
Shrewsbury 3 Rochdale 2
Stoke 4 Rochdale 0 (EFL CUP)
Rochdale 0 Bury 0
Southend 0 Rochdale 0
Rochdale 0 Blackburn 3
Rochdale 2 Doncaster 1

THE MANAGER
Keith John Hill born in Bolton aged 48 years.

As a defender, he started his playing career in 1987 at Blackburn Rovers making 96 appearances, he also, played for Plymouth (123), Rochdale (154), Cheltenham (5), Wrexham (2), and finally Morecambe (20), In total he made 410 appearances scoring 11 goals.

He began his managerial career in 2006 at Rochdale, and ironically his first game in charge was against us, but I’m pleased to say we won 2-1.

Five years later he moved to Barnsley after 231 games in charge despite turning the job down a few months earlier.

A woeful spell at Barnsley saw him sacked, winning just 19 of 75 games and losing 41.

Within weeks he once again took over at Rochdale where he has been in charge for over 4 years overseeing 240 + games.

His career stats add up like this, GAMES 550, WON 225, DRAWN 128, LOST 197, that’s a WIN RATIO of 41 %.

FORMER PLAYERS
Lee Duxbury, George Eastham, David Fairclough, Adam le Fondre, Clive Platt, Brett Ormerod, Jordan Rhodes to name just a few.

FORMER MANAGERS
Rochdale have had 42 managers in their 111-year history, most notable previous incumbents include, Harry Catterick, Bob Stokoe, Jimmy Greenhoff, Eddie Gray and John Hollins.

FAMOUS FANS
Tommy Cannon (Comedian) and Lisa Stansfield (Singer).

Incidentally in a survey from a few years back published in the Daily Mirror, Rochdale are said to have the longest suffering fans in English Football since the formation of the Football League back in 1888, how does that song go....100 Years and you’ve won **** all.

MATCH DAY MASCOT
Who knows why, but its Desmond the Dragon.

CURRENT MATCH ODDS
MK DONS 11/10 (Hills) DRAW 5/2 (Bet365) ROCHDALE 5/2 (Paddy Power)

SHOOTERS BOOTS
Top scorer for the Dale is currently Steve “Interesting” Davies with 4 goals in all comps.

LAST TIME ROUND
Saturday 11th March 2017 – MK Dons 2 Rochdale 2
Team – Martin, Downing, Reeves, Walsh, GB Williams, Barnes, O’Keefe, Tilney, Upson, Maynard, Muirhead.
Subs – Nicholls, Potter, Powell, Agard, Bowditch, Brittain, Ngombo
Goals – Davies 17’, Agard 70’, Mendez-Laing 84’, Reeves 90’
Referee – Darren Drysdale (2 Yellows)
Attendance – 10,659 (329 Rochdale fans)

HEAD 2 HEAD
2016/17 – MK Dons 2 Rochdale 2 (Agard, Reeves)
2016/17 – Rochdale 0 MK Dons 1 (Wootton)
2014/15 – Rochdale 2 MK Dons 3 (Carruthers, Bowditch, Powell)
2014/15 – MK Dons 2 Rochdale 2 (Grigg, Green)
2011/12 – Rochdale 1 MK Dons 2 (O’Shea, Bowditch)
2011/12 – MK Dons 3 Rochdale 1 (Adam Smith, MacDonald, Beevers)
2010/11 – Rochdale 1 MK Dons 4 (Vine, Powell, S Baldock, Gleeson)
2010/11 – MK Dons 1 Rochdale 1 (Doumbe)
2007/08 – MK Dons 0 Rochdale 1
2007/08 – Rochdale 3 MK Dons 2 (Gallen 2)
2006/07 – Rochdale 5 MK Dons 0
2006/07 – MK Dons 2 Rochdale 1 (McLeod, Own Goal)

YOU’VE GO NO HISTORY
Formed in 1907 and nicknamed the Dale, they were accepted into the Football League in 1921.

Since then, the club has remained in the bottom two professional divisions of English Football.

The team has achieved promotion three times – in 1969, 2010 and 2014, and relegation in 1959, 1974 and 2012.

The 1959 relegation followed the 1958 restructuring which saw the combination of the two Third Division sections into the Third Division and Fourth Division. In the restructuring, Rochdale managed to secure a spot in the Third Division, but were relegated at the end of the season to the now lowest Fourth Division.

Although the club has never won a competition since joining the League, they have the distinction of playing in the final of the League Cup in 1962, the first of only two teams from the lowest tier to have done so.

Rochdale has participated in the Football League playoffs on three occasions.

In 2002, they lost 4–3 on aggregate to Rushden & Diamonds. In 2008, they went through to Wembley Stadium, defeating Darlington in the semi-final 5–4 on penalties after a 3–3 draw after extra time over two legs. Ben Muirhead scored the crucial penalty for Rochdale. However, despite scoring the first goal at the Wembley final, Rochdale suffered a 3–2 loss to Stockport County.

In 2009, Rochdale lost 2–1 on aggregate to Gillingham in the playoff semi-finals.

PREDICTION
That’s it folks. over to you now, sorry you can’t have alternatives for your predicted Goalscorer, if they don’t make the starting 11, or are injured, that’s just the rub of the green, suck it up, it’s the same for everyone.

Good luck, don’t forget the deadline is 1 hour before kick-off.

Your turn to bring the gel this week.

8-) WellDon

EXAMPLE
MK DONS 2 ROCHDALE 0
MKDFGS - Rab

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:00 am 

MK Dons 4 Rochdale 1

FGS Sow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:25 am 

3-1 Dons
SOW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:51 pm 

I usually have the same opinion on a game as you welldon and usually wait for your report on the away games as I think you are a good barometer of how things panned out.

Dons 2 Dale 1
Dfgs sow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:41 pm 

MKD 2 - 1 Rochdale

FGS: Sow

My last grasp on to optimism.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:00 pm 

MK Dons 1 Rochdale 1

Fgs Sow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:53 pm 

MK Dons 2-0 Rochdale

MK fgs Gilbey

Don't interupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:00 pm 

Dons 3 Dale 1
DFGS. SOW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:02 pm 

Dons 3 Rochdale 0

FGS Sow

2017 - The Hatrick - Powell, Ngombo & Carruthers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:25 pm 

3-0Dons
FDGS SOW