The Concrete Roundabout (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:58 am 

Camdenite wrote:
I don't think anyone's really touched upon Danny's greatest ability, in that most of his goals came from distance and were usually despatched with such ferocious power that they had already nestled in the bottom corner of the net before the usual suspects dotted around the ground had cleared their throat and bellowed their customary (predictable ;-) ) "Shooooooot!"

He genuinely has an uncanny knack of finding the back of the net long before the fans have even realised there's an opportunity opening up. Often it would be a nothing ball played into him, and a quick shift onto his favoured right boot and boom! I'll kinda miss that.

Let's also not forget that he was probably the most disciplined winger we've ever had in terms of fulfilling his defensive duties and helping Lewie out. For me, Lewie always seemed like he could trust Danny to drop in behind when he goes on those runs more than any other wide player we've had.

On the whole though, it's the right time for him to move on. He's an enigma and will have his moments at Cobblers, but if we have genuine aspirations of getting out of this league then he would only have been bit part player, if that.

agree. I suspect his stats say most of his goals were hard-struck from mid-range. I remember many good crosses coming in as well, not lofty aerial crosses so much as pacey ones. As I recall from my chats with backroom staff that he was pretty much the fastest player in most of the years that he was with us, despite the fact he's tall & quite heavy. And yes, when he was on the bench, KR often brought him on to defend leads in the latter parts of matches.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:17 am 

No disrespect to you gadget or your club but he is probably a good signing for you at this time, not my favourite player by any means but I think he would make a contribution to your squad. As others have said, don't expect him to head the ball because he can't or won't, has scored some good goals for us over the years but has also been atrocious as well. Can't cross the ball to save his life.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:39 am 

Get used to the kick the ball at their legs trick.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:14 am 

WellDon wrote:
inspector gadget wrote:
Good evening gentlemen. It appears that our paths have crossed once again, albeit sooner than expected. Reading through the comments on this post, it would seem that most of you rate Powell quite highly. As I am not really familiar with him, I have a couple of questions. Does he have any pace, and can he whip a cross in? As this is an area that we are sadly lacking in.
I recall the game I think versus Swindon, he ran the fullback ragged, they double teamed him, and he made them both look stupid...

PS........he can't head the ball.

He scored with his head against Swindon.

Our academy has never produced strong centre-backs, good headers up front, or target men who can pull a ball down with two defenders up his arse. We just produce wing-backs and dozens of midfield players.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:25 am 

sausage wrote:
WellDon wrote:
inspector gadget wrote:
Good evening gentlemen. It appears that our paths have crossed once again, albeit sooner than expected. Reading through the comments on this post, it would seem that most of you rate Powell quite highly. As I am not really familiar with him, I have a couple of questions. Does he have any pace, and can he whip a cross in? As this is an area that we are sadly lacking in.
I recall the game I think versus Swindon, he ran the fullback ragged, they double teamed him, and he made them both look stupid...

And Brighton the year they won League 1

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:27 am 

TomMac&Ernie wrote:
Scumarmy. wrote:
Found his level unfortunately.

League One player, League One club.

You're right SA. Boy. It's going to be such a come down for him then.
Hang on ..........

We're a Championship club with a League One team, there's a difference.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:32 pm 

sausage wrote:
WellDon wrote:
inspector gadget wrote:

Was waiting for someone to bring that up, even i would've scored that :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:11 pm 

Me shaft is Barcelona, bell is Real Madrid and me banjo string is B.Munich.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:59 pm 

Wish him all the best for the future and hope he does well there . He deserves to.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:13 pm 

kempstondons6 wrote:
No disrespect to you gadget or your club but he is probably a good signing for you at this time, not my favourite player by any means but I think he would make a contribution to your squad. As others have said, don't expect him to head the ball because he can't or won't, has scored some good goals for us over the years but has also been atrocious as well. Can't cross the ball to save his life.

Wouldn't go as far as to say he has been "atrocious" at times tbh.

Dean Lewington is not a centre back.

"Mine is a vodka and Coke, but hold the Coke."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next