The Concrete Roundabout (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dele Alli
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:44 am 

SteelbackDon wrote:
Young Alby wrote:
The money in football is absolutely ridiculous.

Realistically when you take into consideration the globalisation of each club, teams such as Real Madrid and Barcelona can justifiably pay these sorts of fees without breaking the bank.

I agree it's ludicrous, but the only way to bring this down is to stop the sales of merchandise globally.

TV money absolutely dwarfs the money from merchandise.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:50 am 

In regards to shirt sales for Real Madrid, for Cristiano Ronaldo alone, they make a reported £295 million a year. Now that is just one player, the staffing salary is around £125-130 million a year, so they realistically afford to pay these totals and continue making profit without any issue whatsoever.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:52 am 

Yeah, I completely understand that TV money is the absolute goldmine, but I was just listing as a comparison the merchandise totals alone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:23 am 

SteelbackDon wrote:
Young Alby wrote:
The money in football is absolutely ridiculous.

Realistically when you take into consideration the globalisation of each club, teams such as Real Madrid and Barcelona can justifiably pay these sorts of fees without breaking the bank.

I agree it's ludicrous, but the only way to bring this down is to stop the sales of merchandise globally.

You cant distort a market like that. People want to buy shirts. How can it be desirable to stop them?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:28 am 

SteelbackDon wrote:
In regards to shirt sales for Real Madrid, for Cristiano Ronaldo alone, they make a reported £295 million a year. Now that is just one player, the staffing salary is around £125-130 million a year, so they realistically afford to pay these totals and continue making profit without any issue whatsoever.

Real Madrid won't make anything near that amount from shirt sales, according to this myth-busting article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/th ... rket-myths

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:03 pm 

Very important to remember that Real and Barca both get a huge advantage in TV money because, unlike in the Premier League, Spanish clubs sell their TV rights individually. So those two both pull in many multiple times more than, say, Malaga or Gijon.

Collective TV rights sales is one of the few good things about the Premier League. Christ knows what state it'd be in without it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:08 pm 

Dan wrote:
Very important to remember that Real and Barca both get a huge advantage in TV money because, unlike in the Premier League, Spanish clubs sell their TV rights individually. So those two both pull in many multiple times more than, say, Malaga or Gijon.

Collective TV rights sales is one of the few good things about the Premier League. Christ knows what state it'd be in without it.

I was pretty sure they changed that so there was a fairer share of TV money, but there is a lot of other payments which still tip the balance in favour of the bigger clubs. I'm not sure how much of this is bollocks:

http://www.totalsportek.com/football/sp ... ize-money/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:16 pm 

Greg wrote:
I was pretty sure they changed that so there was a fairer share of TV money, but there is a lot of other payments which still tip the balance in favour of the bigger clubs. I'm not sure how much of this is bollocks:

http://www.totalsportek.com/football/sp ... ize-money/

Thanks Greg, wasn't aware that it had changed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:50 am 

Report today that he'll be going for £150m+, meaning at least £27m coming to us unless they buy out the clause

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:09 am 

Barcelona could bloody well do with him.

I would take the rumours with a very large pinch of salt, though. Barça's general manager said last night that they're close to signing Dembele and Coutinho, and their combined fees would surpass the money generated by Neymar's sale. Barcelona don't have another spare £150m knocking about to then go and sign Alli.

Fingers crossed, as it would secure the long-term future of the club. But I don't think he'll go this summer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next