The Concrete Roundabout (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ben Reeves
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:12 am 

Wouldn't put goals, discipline and versatility as his 3 main attributes http://tbrfootball.com/what-does-charltons-new-signing-bring-to-the-team/.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:39 am 

Not sure if it's a good move for Ben, but clearly his physical frailties don't fit Robbie's mould.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:43 am 

KR7 wrote:
Not sure if it's a good move for Ben, but clearly his physical frailties don't fit Robbie's mould.

I don't think that's the case. Robbie offered him a contract, which shows he wanted him. Ben obviously wanted a better deal, fair enough all round.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:55 am 

Yes but how much did we want to keep him?
Only Lewie remains from Robbo's old guard...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:22 am 

Bets on how long until he's injured?
Bear in mind that today is probably his first day of proper pre-season training (he hasn't been training anywhere else to my knowledge, so must have done it alone), and the season starts tomorrow!

Pretty sure Robinson would have wanted him in on day 1 of pre-season, so it really comes across as if he was looking for a better deal elsewhere with it taking so long and him not training with them until now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:55 am 

Yeah I definitely over reacted. Was always a good character for us and never caused any trouble. Didnt get much rub of the green with fitness but I dont suppose that was helped by the lack of decent facilities and the apparent lack of grasp on conditioning and fitness in the backroom in recent years.

In hindsight it would have been nice to see if his fortunes changed under john hill who I have been following and really rate and the rest of the backroom team led by robbie.

Theres a player in there when hes fully fit.

Cant really wish him ill will as humorous as it would be to see karl meltdown and charlton fans eat humble pie.

Good luck to him and hopefully he moves higher up the pyramid but not at our detriment.

Wish hed ended up anywhere but alongside that smug child karl but it is what it is.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:50 pm 

JackDon wrote:
Wouldn't put goals, discipline and versatility as his 3 main attributes http://tbrfootball.com/what-does-charltons-new-signing-bring-to-the-team/.

The goals he does score are great, but not that frequent. Discipline, yeah, he dies track back and I can't recall him getting too many cards. Not sure about versatility. He's an absolutely phenomenal number 10, but he always looks a bit lost out wide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:16 pm 

I'm guessing, but yes RN did want Reeves, the improved contract is evidence of that.
But in all honesty is an improved offer something that Reeves was worthy of ?
If he had been injury free for at least last season, it could have been considered he was worth it, and Reeves could have felt himself worthy of the increase, and I guess a good reason for him to try and get a better offer.
But as he, RN and we know, there is a bloody good chance he will spend a considerable amount of time injured, the last few seasons have been evidence of that.
He has on occasions played well for us, scored some great goals, and was an integral part of the Man Utd demolition, but you have to say his absence has cost us also.
Not only that, I was not alone in witnessing Reeves pull out of several tackles last season, that to me suggests a player that is not confident in his ability to tackle without getting injured, that was the start of the end for me......and in all honesty with a 100% fit team, I think he would have been a bench warmer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:20 pm 

Thinking more.......I think all this was probably more about his agent blowing smoke up his arse, I never saw an orderly line of managers fighting over his signature.
His trips to watch us, and then going cap in hand to Robbo smacks of desperation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:39 pm 

I'm sad to see him go. We'll never know how much he or his agent wanted to stay here or move away more, taking into account the improved contract from us.

Whilst prone to injuries, last season was the most appearances he's ever made for us in a season. He did albeit miss a third of league games. And missed over half the championship-season games.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next