The Concrete Roundabout (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons.
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Danny Collinge
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:37 pm 

Great write up on the former Dons Academy centre half here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40642854

Sounds a smart lad. It does make me think it's an absolute farce though that a young lad who wants to do his A-Levels at 16 isn't able to under the current English structure (he went to Germany as he could continue a proper education, as well as getting a football one!)

Surely that needs addressing in this country?

Post subject: Re: Danny Collinge
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:08 am 

How typical is his experience - I have no idea how many 16 year-olds at academy level go on to become professional footballers, but I bet it's less than 20%
Where does that leave the rest, given that over 30% of teenagers go onto Uni education?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:50 am 

I was at university with a guy who had completed a scholarship at Swindon, and was then given a one-year professional contract. When that came to an end he was 19, and had to effectively drop back three academic years to begin his A levels. Football clubs seemingly have no provision for youngsters who want to pursue further education.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:36 pm 

Schedule clash between A level lessons and football was the problem here. But not apparently in Germany. What time do students go to school there to do the International Baccalaureate?

Our academy has never produced strong centre-backs, good headers up front, or target men who can pull a ball down with two defenders up his arse. We just produce wing-backs and dozens of midfield players.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:21 pm 

KR7 wrote:

How typical is his experience - I have no idea how many 16 year-olds at academy level go on to become professional footballers, but I bet it's less than 20%
Where does that leave the rest, given that over 30% of teenagers go onto Uni education?

I think it's about 5% of all lads, actually.

If you just look at the two, possibly three, from each year's intake that we offer pro deals to, then our percentage is probably a bit higher.

The point remains though, how do clubs like us offer opportunities to lads who have a bit more than a BTEC about them?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:55 pm 

If you are a clever lad, unless you were really outstanding at football ie. the best player in your national team at your age group, you would be mad to join a professional club rather than do your A levels.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:53 pm 

Dons50 wrote:
If you are a clever lad, unless you were really outstanding at football ie. the best player in your national team at your age group, you would be mad to join a professional club rather than do your A levels.

Wouldn't agree with this, even at our level players can earn some serious wedge, if they have a ten year career at our level, spend their money wisely, this should be enough to set them up for the rest of their life, once retired from football, assuming they don't continue in a career within football they can either do something with whatever skills/knowledge they have or retrain. Youngsters going to uni come out with thousands of pounds of debt that will take years to pay back unless they have parents like my daughter who funded most of it. :-(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:17 am 

Dons50 wrote:

Even if doing A Levels is (most likely) at the expense of a professional football career?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:25 am 

Toby Carvery wrote:
Dons50 wrote:

Even if doing A Levels is (most likely) at the expense of a professional football career?

What are the chances of making it as a professional footballer? I would do the A levels. The football world should recognise this and make it possible for young, bright kids to do both.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:50 am 

I found a link in the comments below the Collinge article to a Football365 feature from last year entitled 'Are England too thick to win anything?'

It was an eye-opening read. http://www.football365.com/news/are-england-too-thick-to-win-anything