The Concrete Roundabout (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons.
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:54 am 

I've only seen the home games - our best performance was the second half v Oxford and hopefully we can build on that this Saturday.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:14 pm 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
If we want entertainment Ed Rubio is making a fine case to get the job!!

That's a bloody good point.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:53 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
KR7 wrote:
Shame that one of the few articulate posters on here is so pessimistic.
Come on F/D cheer up.

Thanks mate. It's just difficult to get excited about anything involving our club at the moment.

Why's that? The results are average, I agree, but pretty much everything else about our club is very positive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:18 pm 

Dons50 wrote:
Why's that? The results are average, I agree, but pretty much everything else about our club is very positive.

I'm not sure that's the case. Over the last few weeks I've spoken to a surprising number of people who are feeling very 'meh' about the Neilson regime and the Dons in general atm. I thought it was just me, but apparently not. It's more apathy than discontent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:32 pm 

Dan wrote:
Dons50 wrote:

I'm not sure that's the case. Over the last few weeks I've spoken to a surprising number of people who are feeling very 'meh' about the Neilson regime and the Dons in general atm. I thought it was just me, but apparently not. It's more apathy than discontent.

I'd agree with that Dan, it's not so much dissenting voices, but more just pissed off with the football, or lack of football we play.......and people not really renowned for speaking out.
The most common term being used is its been like this since we got promoted, gone backwards is another.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:35 pm 

Dan wrote:
Dons50 wrote:

Based on what? Results? Ok fair enough, but I don't see anything else at our club that has got worse. The work that the SET does, for example, continues to get better.

I didn't want Robbo sacked. It would be easy for me to say that things are worse since he left. I don't believe that to be the case. I wish people wouldn't always take such a short term view.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:54 pm 

Dons50 wrote:
Dan wrote:
Dons50 wrote:

Based on what? Results? Ok fair enough, but I don't see anything else at our club that has got worse. The work that the SET does, for example, continues to get better.

I didn't want Robbo sacked. It would be easy for me to say that things are worse since he left. I don't believe that to be the case. I wish people wouldn't always take such a short term view.

I think the problem is that Robbie hasn't really made an impact since joining and although there have been some exciting signings but some have been injured and everything seems to have gone flat. Even our win seemed fortunate so there is no signs that things are getting better.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:06 pm 

Dons50 wrote:

No, it's about a lot more than results, although that definitely doesn't help.

> The football, largely, has been deeply uninspiring to watch.
> The wholesale change in playing personnel has left us watching a whole bunch of strangers. It doesn't 'feel' like the MK Dons we're used to. Maybe this will come in time, but we've gone from having several players who at least made it look like they cared about the fans to just Cisse.
> Robbie is clearly a focused, intelligent and industrious bloke, but his demeanour makes it hard to warm to him.
> Home atmospheres are even flatter than they used to be, possibly as a by-product of some, many or fewer of the above.
> Based on incidents like that involving Lewie being subbed on Tuesday, away games seemingly continue to have the fun sucked out of them by people who are, frankly, as thick as pig shit.

This isn't about balance sheets, or the SET or the tangible well-being of the club. It's about the tiny little vestige of a soul that this club and fans have managed to cultivate over the years which, at least for the time being, has gone completely AWOL. Right now, it feels like the soulless franchise everyone says we are.

P.S. I have deliberately avoided mentioning the previous manager. This is not all because he isn't here any more.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:09 pm 

Dan wrote:
Dons50 wrote:

No, it's about a lot more than results, although that definitely doesn't help.

> The football, largely, has been deeply uninspiring to watch.
> The wholesale change in playing personnel has left us watching a whole bunch of strangers. It doesn't 'feel' like the MK Dons we're used to. Maybe this will come in time, but we've gone from having several players who at least made it look like they cared about the fans to just Cisse.
> Robbie is clearly a focused, intelligent and industrious bloke, but his demeanour makes it hard to warm to him.
> Home atmospheres are even flatter than they used to be, possibly as a by-product of some, many or fewer of the above.
> Based on incidents like that involving Lewie being subbed on Tuesday, away games seemingly continue to have the fun sucked out of them by people who are, frankly, as thick as pig shit.

This isn't about balance sheets, or the SET or the tangible well-being of the club. It's about the tiny little vestige of a soul that this club and fans have managed to cultivate over the years which, at least for the time being, has gone completely AWOL. Right now, it feels like the soulless franchise everyone says we are.

P.S. I have deliberately avoided mentioning the previous manager. This is not all because he isn't here any more.

Not many soulless organisations do what we do in the community with the SET.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:11 pm 

Dons50 wrote:
Not many soulless organisations do what we do in the community with the SET.

Let's be honest: as good a charitable endeavour as the SET is, its day-to-day relevance to the Dons fans who go to games week-in, week-out is minimal.

Being able to say 'our charity and wider community work is great' doesn't address any of the issues I've set out above.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next