The Concrete Roundabout (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons.
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:07 am 

7 games in and 15th place. Feels familiar - that's because it's the same as this time last season, except under KR we had one more point on the board, and had scored 3 more goals.

"Time to gel" is irrelevant now (as if it was ever relevant) - as WellDon put it, they've had 7 league games, 3 cup games, and 8 pre-season games as well as daily training sessions to get to know one another, as well as time for Neilson to identify strengths/weaknesses. These are mostly experienced players who should be professional enough to integrate well with other players.

My question is:

What is it about this current squad and Neilson's tactics that makes you believe we are going to have a change of fortune and improve considerably?

I really don't understand this whole concept of giving a manager time. Far more experienced managers than Neilson have been given the axe in far shorter tenures (e.g. Frank de Boer recently). At the same time, there is recent evidence in this league of new managers coming in and improving the fortunes of teams - e.g. JFH taking over at Northampton resulting in back-to-back wins.

Fair enough if we were just slightly off the pace or playing well and being edged out by superior opposition, but lets face it apart from the second half against Oxford at home, we've looked absolutely dire even in our two wins and didn't deserve them. Our problems aren't going to be fixed by a slight tweak or more game time, and certainly won't be fixed by a signing or two in January which will be far too late. Team spirit seems low, our style of football is too negative and dull, we have close to zero potency in attack.

I thought we were meant to be on the rise with Neilson, we had a pretty good second half of last season with him in charge, but almost all of the positives came from players we lost and didn't replace (Barnes, Reeves, O'Keefe, Baldock). Neilson's policy of recruiting tall, physically strong adaptable players has backfired as we've lost all our creativity and everything that was positive about his time in charge last season. It's the worst style of football I've ever seen played by a Dons team since I started supporting the club. There is very little to be excited about as a fan at the moment.

Lastly - what is the point of hoping things improve when there are so many negatives? If we leave it too late to make a decision, then we risk doing what we did last season and writing off the second half of it. December was too late for us to move on from KR. Imagine if we had replaced KR with Neilson in October, we could have finished in the playoffs comfortably last season with that squad.

If we're not top half after the Bury game, then I think Neilson's position needs to be questioned.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:20 am 

Location: Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, UK, Europe, The earth, The Milky Way
FilthyDon wrote:
7 games in and 15th place. Feels familiar - that's because it's the same as this time last season, except under KR we had one more point on the board, and had scored 3 more goals.

"Time to gel" is irrelevant now (as if it was ever relevant) - as WellDon put it, they've had 7 league games, 3 cup games, and 8 pre-season games as well as daily training sessions to get to know one another, as well as time for Neilson to identify strengths/weaknesses. These are mostly experienced players who should be professional enough to integrate well with other players.

My question is:

What is it about this current squad and Neilson's tactics that makes you believe we are going to have a change of fortune and improve considerably?

I really don't understand this whole concept of giving a manager time. Far more experienced managers than Neilson have been given the axe in far shorter tenures (e.g. Frank de Boer recently). At the same time, there is recent evidence in this league of new managers coming in and improving the fortunes of teams - e.g. JFH taking over at Northampton resulting in back-to-back wins.

Fair enough if we were just slightly off the pace or playing well and being edged out by superior opposition, but lets face it apart from the second half against Oxford at home, we've looked absolutely dire even in our two wins and didn't deserve them. Our problems aren't going to be fixed by a slight tweak or more game time, and certainly won't be fixed by a signing or two in January which will be far too late. Team spirit seems low, our style of football is too negative and dull, we have close to zero potency in attack.

I thought we were meant to be on the rise with Neilson, we had a pretty good second half of last season with him in charge, but almost all of the positives came from players we lost and didn't replace (Barnes, Reeves, O'Keefe, Baldock). Neilson's policy of recruiting tall, physically strong adaptable players has backfired as we've lost all our creativity and everything that was positive about his time in charge last season. It's the worst style of football I've ever seen played by a Dons team since I started supporting the club. There is very little to be excited about as a fan at the moment.

Lastly - what is the point of hoping things improve when there are so many negatives? If we leave it to late to make a decision, then we risk doing what we did last season and writing off the second half of it. December was too late for us to move on from KR. Imagine if we had replaced KR with Neilson in October, we could have finished in the playoffs comfortably last season with that squad.

If we're not top half after the Bury game, then I think Neilson's position needs to be questioned.

Who the fuck cares anymore? Sacking him won't change anything. Realism hurts but we are and always will be shit. We have never had a striker who is our own that can score and our top scorer last season is a fucking bench warmer half the time.

Last season we moaned because we were not physical enough. Now your moaning cause we are too physical. Ffs make your mind up.

If we are mid table my 10 games in that would have met my expectations. So what if it is ugly be realistic and ignore the bull shit spouted by Winkelman. We were never going up. We rely too much on loans who just don't give a shit or are not good enough. Its always been our problem.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:26 am 

russybcool1 wrote:
Who the fuck cares anymore? Sacking him won't change anything. Realism hurts but we are and always will be shit. We have never had a striker who is our own that can score and our top scorer last season is a fucking bench warmer half the time.

Last season we moaned because we were not physical enough. Now your moaning cause we are too physical. Ffs make your mind up.

If we are mid table my 10 games in that would have met my expectations. So what if it is ugly be realistic and ignore the bull shit spouted by Winkelman. We were never going up. We rely too much on loans who just don't give a shit or are not good enough. Its always been our problem.

You don't sound like someone defending Neilson, you sound like someone as frustrated and cynical about the state of the club/squad as I am.

I did highlight the lack of physicality in the squad last season, but the balance has to be right. You can't have a team full of nimble, physically weak players, nor can you have a team full of tall, physically dominant players - Neilson IMO has gone too far away from our identity as a club - we have always been a club admired for our creative style, but that identity has now completed gone. This team would be fantastic in non-league where physicality is more important.

Totally agree with you about loans. Great when they work well, which is rare, but like you say most of them don't give a shit about this club and just want to move onwards and upwards. I get that vibe from the likes of Tshibola, Ariyibi and Ebanks-Landell. Their body language and responses in interviews don't exactly ooze enthusiasm.

End of the day, we shouldn't be relying on loans to fill key roles each season, just to supplement the squad.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:33 am 

Clearly a pòor result and performance last night. For me im still positive and hope we continue to go 3 5 2 as i think we were last night for good bit of game. If we can with Sow and Aneke soon regulars i believe we can progress. The bigger question is do the players believe if they dont it will become evident on the pitch and comments off it. Then the question will be can pw remain patient. We do have creative players are they being held back.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 am 

Location: Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, UK, Europe, The earth, The Milky Way
FilthyDon wrote:
russybcool1 wrote:

You don't sound like someone defending Neilson, you sound like someone as frustrated and cynical about the state of the club/squad as I am.

I did highlight the lack of physicality in the squad last season, but the balance has to be right. You can't have a team full of nimble, physically weak players, nor can you have a team full of tall, physically dominant players - Neilson IMO has gone too far away from our identity as a club - we have always been a club admired for our creative style, but that identity has now completed gone. This team would be fantastic in non-league where physicality is more important.

Totally agree with you about loans. Great when they work well, which is rare, but like you say most of them don't give a shit about this club and just want to move onwards and upwards. I get that vibe from the likes of Tshibola, Ariyibi and Ebanks-Landell. Their body language and responses in interviews don't exactly ooze enthusiasm.

End of the day, we shouldn't be relying on loans to fill key roles each season, just to supplement the squad.

I don't blame Nelson for that. I blame Winkelman, Cullen and the rest of the board. They decide the budget not Robbie.

I go as far as to say I hate our business model. I know people will say well our debt is low due to being shrewd but look who is top of the table fucking Shrewsbury who have probably half a budget than us. Yes Robbie brings in the players but he is limited by what he can spend. I hate our board and they are the one consistent throughout all of thos. Not the players or the manager. The board.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:37 am 

APMKDon wrote:
Clearly a pòor result and performance last night. For me im still positive and hope we continue to go 3 5 2 as i think we were last night for good bit of game. If we can with Sow and Aneke soon regulars i believe we can progress. The bigger question is do the players believe if they dont it will become evident on the pitch and comments off it. Then the question will be can pw remain patient. We do have creative players are they being held back.

Keeping Aneke and Sow fit and firing looks like our only way to 'wing it' through the season at the moment. I think you're right with the more attacking formation. It's all well and good having a reasonable defence, but eventually it will cave and we will keep losing games we don't give anything back in return. 4 goals in 7 is piss poor.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:44 am 

russybcool1 wrote:
I go as far as to say I hate our business model. I know people will say well our debt is low due to being shrewd but look who is top of the table fucking Shrewsbury who have probably half a budget than us. Yes Robbie brings in the players but he is limited by what he can spend. I hate our board and they are the one consistent throughout all of thos. Not the players or the manager. The board.

I'm sure a lot of clubs in this league are looking up at Shrewsbury and thinking how the fuck that's happening.

They've made some well thought out signings - Stefan Payne from Barnsley, wasn't getting any game time there and but had a decent scoring record in non-league. Really don't know why we haven't ever done the same in terms of signing goal scoring non-league players.

Worth the risk, low(ish) wages and players keen to succeed in their careers having finally been given a chance. Would 100% take a player with a good non-league record over an unknown overseas pro player with no English football experience any day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:49 am 

No point asking these questions until we're closer to the January window IMO. Neilson has brought in all his Scottish mates - he needs time to get them firing.. Muirhead!! Ffs :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:53 am 

RedDotDon wrote:
No point asking these questions until we're closer to the January window IMO. Neilson has brought in all his Scottish mates - he needs time to get them firing.. Muirhead!! Ffs :lol: :lol:

I'd forgotten Muirhead still played for us before you mentioned him. :-? Pawlett looks a good player.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:33 am 

I think we stick with him until there is a better option available we can't just get rid of him on a whim and end up with any old manager who then says he needs time, transfers etc. The only thing Robbie needs to worry about is the worse the performances the better other options look, I can see half a dozen managers going in the next six weeks we need to be watching that closely.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next