The Concrete Roundabout (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:48 am 

Only bally bed wetters, pikey pikey chavs and cock suckers would be calling for the manager's head.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:50 am 

Godalming-MKDon wrote:
Only bally bed wetters, pikey pikey chavs and cock suckers would be calling for the manager's head.

We've got a few of those.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:56 am 

Please correct me if I'm wrong: wasn't there something on the OS or in the local press at the time of Neilson's appointment that he'd been given a brief to play 'entertaining football' or something similar?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:01 am 

Dan wrote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong: wasn't there something on the OS or in the local press at the time of Neilson's appointment that he'd been given a brief to play 'entertaining football' or something similar?

All I remember is Winkie's interviews he gave to the OS during the search for a manager. He said something along the lines of our club having a footballing identity and that we have a certain style of play ("the right way") and that whoever takes over will embrace that philosophy.

I think to most of us that means keeping the ball on the ground, playing out from the back etc. This season I assume has not been what Winkie probably meant when he said playing football "the right way".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:03 am 

russybcool1 wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
7 games in and 15th place. Feels familiar - that's because it's the same as this time last season, except under KR we had one more point on the board, and had scored 3 more goals.

"Time to gel" is irrelevant now (as if it was ever relevant) - as WellDon put it, they've had 7 league games, 3 cup games, and 8 pre-season games as well as daily training sessions to get to know one another, as well as time for Neilson to identify strengths/weaknesses. These are mostly experienced players who should be professional enough to integrate well with other players.

My question is:

What is it about this current squad and Neilson's tactics that makes you believe we are going to have a change of fortune and improve considerably?

I really don't understand this whole concept of giving a manager time. Far more experienced managers than Neilson have been given the axe in far shorter tenures (e.g. Frank de Boer recently). At the same time, there is recent evidence in this league of new managers coming in and improving the fortunes of teams - e.g. JFH taking over at Northampton resulting in back-to-back wins.

Fair enough if we were just slightly off the pace or playing well and being edged out by superior opposition, but lets face it apart from the second half against Oxford at home, we've looked absolutely dire even in our two wins and didn't deserve them. Our problems aren't going to be fixed by a slight tweak or more game time, and certainly won't be fixed by a signing or two in January which will be far too late. Team spirit seems low, our style of football is too negative and dull, we have close to zero potency in attack.

I thought we were meant to be on the rise with Neilson, we had a pretty good second half of last season with him in charge, but almost all of the positives came from players we lost and didn't replace (Barnes, Reeves, O'Keefe, Baldock). Neilson's policy of recruiting tall, physically strong adaptable players has backfired as we've lost all our creativity and everything that was positive about his time in charge last season. It's the worst style of football I've ever seen played by a Dons team since I started supporting the club. There is very little to be excited about as a fan at the moment.

Lastly - what is the point of hoping things improve when there are so many negatives? If we leave it to late to make a decision, then we risk doing what we did last season and writing off the second half of it. December was too late for us to move on from KR. Imagine if we had replaced KR with Neilson in October, we could have finished in the playoffs comfortably last season with that squad.

If we're not top half after the Bury game, then I think Neilson's position needs to be questioned.

Who the fuck cares anymore? Sacking him won't change anything. Realism hurts but we are and always will be shit. We have never had a striker who is our own that can score and our top scorer last season is a fucking bench warmer half the time.

Last season we moaned because we were not physical enough. Now your moaning cause we are too physical. Ffs make your mind up.

If we are mid table my 10 games in that would have met my expectations. So what if it is ugly be realistic and ignore the bull shit spouted by Winkelman. We were never going up. We rely too much on loans who just don't give a shit or are not good enough. Its always been our problem.

Here speaks a true fan ha fucking ha#NEILSON OUT EVERY FUCKER OUT lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:05 am 

Honestly at this point I wouldn't be too bothered if he was sacked, I don't think he's up to much personally. He's not this incredible manager the hearts fans were banging on about on social media, he's fairly shite.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:11 am 

Could you imagine if we were a premier league team, what would the expectation levels among some of our fan base be like then?

The fact of the matter is we are a mid table league 1 side with a relatively small budget playing in a huge stadium we cant even half fill most weekends. There are much bigger teams than us in this league. Yes i'm disappointed with our league position, yes i'd love us to be playing the free flowing attacking football of the promotion season but i'm also realist and we are probably at the right position in the table based on performances.

I'm in no rush to sack the manager, stability and growth going forward is key at the moment. Once we have a fully fit squad and a settled starting 11 i'm sure performances and results will improve. If they don't, i'll still go and watch the game and have a beer because it my local team and i prefer it to shopping on a Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:15 am 

bert the jock don wrote:
Could you imagine if we were a premier league team, what would the expectation levels among some of our fan base be like then?

The fact of the matter is we are a mid table league 1 side with a relatively small budget playing in a huge stadium we cant even half fill most weekends. There are much bigger teams than us in this league. Yes i'm disappointed with our league position, yes i'd love us to be playing the free flowing attacking football of the promotion season but i'm also realist and we are probably at the right position in the table based on performances.

I'm in no rush to sack the manager, stability and growth going forward is key at the moment. Once we have a fully fit squad and a settled starting 11 i'm sure performances and results will improve. If they don't, i'll still go and watch the game and have a beer because it my local team and i prefer it to shopping on a Saturday.

Well said.

Can't believe we're now saying we want to see passing football again after all the abuse KR got for years.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:17 am 

RedDotDon wrote:
Can't believe we're now saying we want to see passing football again after all the abuse KR got for years.

Wasn't it more that he stuck religiously to 4-2-3-1 rather than the passing football itself?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:39 am 

The club have little choice but to give RN time. Substantial compensation to Hearts and numerous new bodies in from a staffing perspective. Any change would probably obliterate budgets for the next few years. Imagine the transfer windows then. :lol:

Said it before, but Peterborough are now in their fifth year of L1 football, expect something similar. We don't have the budget to expect these immediate bounce-backs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next