The Concrete Roundabout (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 Counties Radio
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:35 am 

Now before anyone jumps down my throat this isn't necessarily prompted by our current form, but something I've mused about over the years, but I can't deny recent events have got me thinking again.
You see press conferences on TV where they interview the manager post or pre-match, and you have to say they don't pull any punches, they tend to ask the difficult questions.
Of late Luke Ashmead and the like commentating on Don's games have frequently used words like terrible, clueless, awful, turgid etc, I've also noticed Toby Lock has been very critical in his online and newspaper reports, but when it gets to the face to face stuff with Robbie, and Robbo before, I've noticed that this criticism is toned down considerably, to the degree you could argue they were given an easy ride, when difficult questions need asking, they haven't pulled the trigger.
These people are in a priveledged position, and to a degree represent us the humble fan, we need them to ask the questions for us, if not what's the bloody point of them being there if they are only going to cosy up to the club in the post match interview.
To me it all sounds farsical, they run the team down in commentary and then when you think they should be asking burning questions ......nothing, sterile.

Post subject: Re: 3 Counties Radio
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:43 am 

The main problem is that people are too scared of having their access to the 'talent' removed if they say anything too critical or say something that upsets said 'talent'. This isn't just the case here, it's a problem with sport journalism everywhere - it's one of the primary reasons I got out of it.

Also, in our case specifically, it doesn't help that there are so few media personnel regularly covering the team week-by-week - there's no real competition, so to speak.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:45 am 

I suppose they have to keep the club onside, and it's just human nature. If you're working with the same people, interviewing them 2 or 3 times a week every week, it's an easier life to just keep things fairly easy going.

I agree though, and have noticed the same. On 3CR they are far more outspoken when not talking to Neilson, heavily criticising the team. But when it comes to the actual interview, they hold back and the criticism is really toned down.

I'd prefer them to get stuck in a bit more if I'm honest.

If we lose to Rochdale on Saturday, I'll be hoping for a real grilling of Neilson.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:15 am 

Dan wrote:
The main problem is that people are too scared of having their access to the 'talent' removed if they say anything too critical or say something that upsets said 'talent'. This isn't just the case here, it's a problem with sport journalism everywhere - it's one of the primary reasons I got out of it.

Also, in our case specifically, it doesn't help that there are so few media personnel regularly covering the team week-by-week - there's no real competition, so to speak.

As you've been in the business Dan, i of course respect your opinion, but taking a different look at your last statement, do you think the fact there are so few media covering the team, that should help the likes of Ashmead when asking those difficult questions, after all the club is reliant on 3 Counties radio, and the local papers to spread the Don's message.......a necessary evil if you like ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:23 am 

In fairness to Luke he was very very pressing at times in the latter part of Robbo's tenure. Didn't give him an easy ride at all. Asked all the right questions we as fans wanted as he knew KR would give the same old shit. Like really pressed him on how under pressure he feels and made him answer questions. You don't get much a tune out of RN at all and he strikes me as the type who would say "I'm not answering that" or walk out the interview.

Dean Lewington is not a centre back.

"Mine is a vodka and Coke, but hold the Coke."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:34 am 

WellDon wrote:
As you've been in the business Dan, i of course respect your opinion, but taking a different look at your last statement, do you think the fact there are so few media covering the team, that should help the likes of Ashmead when asking those difficult questions, after all the club is reliant on 3 Counties radio, and the local papers to spread the Don's message.......a necessary evil if you like ?

I'd argue that working for a big organisation like the BBC and having a much wider remit than just the Dons (presenting 3CR Sport and so on) means Luke has no direct accountability to compel him to ask the really searching questions. I.e. if MK Dons fans aren't particularly satisfied, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference to his job in the grand scheme of things.

(P.S. I don't hear Luke often, but when I do it's normally the evening studio-based show and that is pretty good IMO. I don't think he's a bad journalist by any means.)

The same probably applies to Toby Lock, too. He works across God knows how many different local papers, and (I think) all of them are freesheets. That means there's no direct financial pressure on his shoulders that if people don't like his coverage, they stop buying their local paper - because they get it anyway. You could argue that the pressure is still there online because click rates on stories help attract the advertising revenue that runs those sites, but unless he's got some absolutely smoking gun quote/story, the extra clicks he can get from the incisive questioning aren't going to make enough difference to make it worth his while to rock the boat with the club.

It's a sorry state of affairs that means that we don't get the answers we want, but I can't really blame either of them for taking the approach they do. They're just playing the game the way it's supposed to be played these days.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:35 am 

It is an odd state of affairs if they don't ask the questions face to face yet openly criticise on radio and in print as if they think the club won't notice, if I was the manager I'd be calling the journalists out on their articles if I dialsagreed but then I can be catankerous at times!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:11 pm 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
It is an odd state of affairs if they don't ask the questions face to face yet openly criticise on radio and in print as if they think the club won't notice, if I was the manager I'd be calling the journalists out on their articles if I dialsagreed but then I can be catankerous at times!

You put it much better than me, that's exactly what I was getting at.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:36 pm 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:

Commentary on a game is different to a considered interview afterwards. If you bluster in, asking specific questions about player's performance or saying that the team were rubbish you're very likely to be told to f*** off (literally so when people tried that approach to Brian Clough). You get more useful information out of people by being diplomatic and getting them to open up. Bear in mind that Robbie has to be very careful what he says as interviews are scrutinised by everybody (hence you rarely see any real candour in those situations)

Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:14 pm 

THEY WERE OK TODAY i'D SAY.